Courtesy of Aurora University
AURORA, Ill. -- The Aurora University men's lacrosse team defeated the Concordia University Wisconsin Falcons 16-3 in the 2018 Midwest Lacrosse Conference Tournament Championship. The win is the sixth straight for the Spartans in the MLC Tournament and is the sixth straight NCAA appearance for AU.
FINAL SCORE: Aurora University 16, Concordia University Wisconsin 3
RECORDS: Aurora University 19-1; Concordia University Wisconsin 13-6
LOCATION: Aurora, Illinois – Vago Field
WEATHER: Sunny, 82 degrees, Wind - 9-13 WSW
SPARTAN STARTING LINE UP:
Attack: Trevor McNamara
Attack: Tanner Lerdahl
Attack: Joey Lucchesi
Midfield: Sam Hiss
Midfield: Corey Segall
Midfield: Jameson Morrison
Defense: Chad Ronk
Defense: Bryce Wallgard
Defense: Sean Arfsten
Goalie: Tyler Lombardi
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW scored first with an unassisted goal 3:04 into the game. The post goal celebration by the Falcons definitely woke up the Spartans.
- Over the next three full quarters of action, AU outscored CUW 11-0.
- The offense began to click and the AU defense and goalie Tyler Lombardi absolutely smothered the CUW offense. AU caused turnovers all over the field.
- First quarter AU goals came from Gavin Hardersen, Joey Lucchesi (2) and Braden Toll. The Toll goal was on a fast-break late in the period.
- AU added three more goals in the second quarter with Tanner Lerdahl scoring even strength and Lucchesi adding a man-up.
- The third and final goal by AU was a back-breaker. With one second left in the half, Trevor McNamara found Nick Glaser in front of the Falcon net. Glaser buried the shot and AU led heading to halftime 7-1.
- The third quarter saw no scoring for the first 10:50 before the Spartans rattled off three straight in 1:47 seconds. Lucchesi scored two and McNamara added a highlight real behind the back goal.
- Through three quarters, AU led 10-1 and was in complete control of the action.
- 59 seconds into the fourth, Jameson Morrison assisted on a Tanner Lerdahl goal and the Spartans led 11-1.
- CUW broke the AU scoring run on a 6v4 situation early in the fourth.
- Moments later, Lerdahl scored his third of the game and the Spartans forced a Falcon goalie change and chased the MLC Defensive Player of the Year from the contest.
- Four straight tallies from Lerdahl, Corey Segall, Nick Glaser and Casey Pettine welcomed the new CUW goalie and AU led 16-2.
- CUW added a goal with just over two minutes to play but the Spartans were well within grasp of their sixth straight MLC tournament title.
BEYOND THE BOX
- AU captured the program's sixth consecutive MLC Tournament title in eight seasons of play.
- The Spartans advance to their sixth consecutive NCAA Division III Championship.
- AU set a new single-season record for wins with their 19th (19-1).
- The Spartans won the fourth straight MLC Tournament Championship match-up against CUW
FOR THE SPARTANS
- Joey Lucchesi had five goals and one assist.
- Tanner Lerdahl had four goals.
- Nick Glaser scored a pair of goals.
- Trevor McNamara had one assist and a beautiful behind the back goal.
- Tyler Lombardi had 12 saves in the winning effort.
SPARTAN TEAM LEADERS
Points: Joey Lucchesi (6) and Tanner Lerdahl (4)
Goals: Joey Lucchesi (6) and Tanner Lerdahl (4)
Assists: Ben Arends (2)
Ground balls: Corey Segall (7)
Caused Turnovers: Chad Ronk and Bryce Wallgard (3)
Face offs: Corey Segall (10-16)
Saves: Tyler Lombardi (12)
The Spartan men's lacrosse team advances to the 2018 NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship. AU will find out the opponent and location of their game when the NCAA announces the field on Sunday, May 6 at 8:00 p.m. (9:00 pm EST) on NCAA.com.