Courtesy of Aurora University
DELAWARE, Ohio -- The Aurora University Spartans saw themselves in the NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship second round for the sixth straight season at Ohio Wesleyan on Wednesday afternoon. The second round was once again unkind to AU as the Spartans fell to OWU 13-5.
GAME INFORMATION - 2018 NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship Second Round
FINAL SCORE: Ohio Wesleyan University 13, Aurora University 5
RECORDS: Aurora University 19-2; Ohio Wesleyan University 16-3
LOCATION: Delaware, Ohio
LENGTH OF GAME: 2:13
SPARTAN STARTING LINE UP:
Attack: Trevor McNamara
Attack: Tanner Lerdahl
Attack: Joey Lucchesi
Midfield: Sam Hiss
Midfield: Corey Segall
Midfield: JK Torres
Defense: Chad Ronk
Defense: Bryce Wallgard
Defense: Sean Arfsten
Goalie: Tyler Lombardi
HOW IT HAPPENED
- AU fell behind 2-0 early in the first quarter.
- Seniors Joey Lucchesi and Trevor McNamara teamed up for the first AU goal at 10:26 of the first. McNamara assisted on the Lucchesi goal.
- Midway through the first, Lucchesi scored again on a man-up opportunity with JK Torres assisting.
- With 7 minutes to play in the first, AU trailed 3-2 and that would be the score after one quarter.
- The second quarter was all OWU as the hosts scored five unanswered goals to lead 8-2 going to half
- During halftime, a lightning delay occurred giving the teams a 30-minute halftime break.
- The Spartans were out-scored 3-0 in the third and trailed 11-2 after three quarters.
- AU showed some fight and life in the fourth quarter, scoring three times as Tanner Lerdahl scored two and Ben Arends once.
- But the Spartans were unable to overcome the deficit and fell 13-5.
BEYOND THE BOX
- The Spartans played in their sixth consecutive NCAA Division III Championship Second Round.
- AU set a new single-season record for wins with 19 (19-2).
FOR THE SPARTANS
- Joey Lucchesi had two goals and one assist.
- Tanner Lerdahl had two goals.
- JK Torres had three assists.
- Ben Arends had one goal.
SPARTAN TEAM LEADERS
Points: Joey Lucchesi and JK Torres (3)
Goals: Joey Lucchesi and Tanner Lerdahl (2)
Assists: JK Torres (3)
Ground balls: Corey Segall (8) and Chad Ronk (5)
Caused Turnovers: Bryce Wallgard (3)
Face offs: Corey Segall (10-18)
Saves: Tyler Lombardi (11)
The AU men's lacrosse team concludes the 2018 season with a 19-2 overall record, the sixth straight Midwest Lacrosse Conference Championship.